Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Tale Of Two Cities

Last Thursday on my way to Laguardia Airport I saw something off the highway that truly took my breath away. A cemetery.

Now in general I find cemeteries to be very dark, beautiful, and spooky places (a standard a hotchpot of emotions for me), but I'd rarely use generic lines like "take my breath away" to describe them.

This particular cemetery, however, was different. It was in front of the skyline of Manhattan. All those big rectangular buildings holding thousands of people behind all those small rectangular tombstones representing individual people.

You see, I always imagined cemeteries as being separate from the rest of the world. They shouldn't be touched, or better yet invaded, with everyday life. But seeing New York City behind all those tombstones made me realize something; not a profound thought, but regardless, still something I'm having trouble with: Cemeteries are just cities for the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment