Thursday, February 3, 2011

Page Turner

I know this sounds naive, but I'm always amazed how many things there are in this world that I know nothing about.

I'll start with an easy example...

I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. Oh my lordy. What a beautiful book! So beautiful that I'm actually upset I haven't read it before. That all this time I've just been walking around like an asshole when I should have been reading it!

Now, naturally, the fact that I, or anyone else, hasn't read this book doesn't mean we're assholes. I mean, there's a lot of great stuff out there, so it's easy to get lost and not know where to look. And here's my point: sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the talent in this world that my stomach floats. It's a good feeling, just, you know, makes me dizzy. In fact, I even kind of feel like an asshole right now for writing this post when I know I could be reading something great. Something beautiful and inspiring! Something I'm sure I haven't even heard of!

And that, my friends, is why I will never read Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

No comments:

Post a Comment