Friday, February 11, 2011

God

Overheard something at a café this morning. Fittingly, the name of the café was "Three Angels by the Park."

A woman said:

"Of course there's a god. Science is a beautiful thing, but it can't keep answering the same simple question over and over forever: And what came before that?"

She saw me watching her and scrunched up her small nose.

"Well, do you believe in god?" she asked.

I thought it was very rude she asked me this. I was a complete stranger, after all. But, I suppose it's also rude to eavesdrop on someones conversation. So I looked away.

It's silly, but I have a prewitten response to the "God Question." It goes like this: I don't know. But I feel you have to be much wiser than I am to answer that question. Hopefully one day I'll be able to.

This morning, however, I didn't want to say that. I didn't want to overcomplicate such a simple question with so many words. I just wanted to say what I felt. So I looked back at her and sipped my coffee.

"Yes," I said. And that was it. The woman smiled, but it was a smile that wanted to frown, like she was preparing, and even wanted, to debate me. Then she went back to her friend and I went back to my bagel.

So there you have it. I believe in God. Always thought that would be a much more profound realization in my life. At the moment, however, all I really care to do is talk more about "Three Angels by the Park."

You can check it out HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment